The following is a listing of Sixth Grade's curriculum. The list is broken up into nine-weeks, content and skills.
1st Nine Weeks
Number Sense, Addition, and Subtraction
- Place Value
- Expanded Form
- Place value and exponents
- Compare and order decimals
- Round whole numbers & decimals
- Estimate decimal sums and differences
- Addition & Subtraction of whole numbers and decimals
Multiplication- Whole Numbers and Decimals
- Multiplication patterns
- Estimate products
- Multiply whole numbers
- Multiply with decimals
- Scientific Notation
Division - Whole Numbers and Decimals
- Short division
- Estimate quotients
- Divide whole numbers
- Divide decimals by 10, 100, and 1000
- Divide decimals by whole numbers
- Patterning with tenths, hundredths, and thousandths
- Estimate decimal quotients
- Decimal divisors
- Zeros in division
Review questions and key terms for all of the following chapters:
Worksheets for each chapter will be done in class.
- Introduction to Earth Science
- Mapping Earth's Surface
- Plate Tectonics
- God makes Himself known through Divine Revelation.
- His Revelation is handed down through the Bible and tradition.
- The Bible is a collection of books.
- God created the universe.
- The Book of Genesis is about beginnings.
- God is the source of all life.
- Human beings are created in God's image and likeness.
People Turn From God
- God created human being, body and soul.
- We are called to be stewards of creation.
- Evil entered the world through a human act.
- All people suffer from the effects of original sin.
God Promises To Help People
- God promised to send a Savior.
- God made a covenant with Noah.
- The unity of the human race was lost.
Review Geography Skills
- Identify and use parts of a map.
- Locate continents, bodies of water, cardinal directions, prime meridian, equator, latitude and longitude.
The Beginnings of Human Society
- Early human culture in the Stone Age.
The Fertile Crescent
- Detailed overview of civilization in the Fertile Crescent.
- Significant features of ancient Egypt and Nubia, two civilizations that developed in the Nile Valley.
- Common and Proper Nouns
- Practice and demonstrate writing application of technical grammar skills learned
- Units 8, 9 and 10
- Assessment of summer reading assignment.
- Short stories - themes associated with finding and inventing self.
- Short Stories - themes associated with common threads.
- Unit 1 and 2
2nd Nine Weeks
- Order of Operations
- Evaluating algebraic expressions and equations
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division equations
- Comparing and ordering integers
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division of integers
- Divisibility, greatest common factor, least common multiple
- Equivalent fractions, comparing and ordering fractions
- Weathering/soil formation
- Fossil fuels
- Energy Conservation
3rd Nine Weeks
- Comparing Fractions
- Renaming fractions as mixed numbers and decimals
- Renaming decimals as fractions and mixed numbers
- Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide fractions
- Permutations and Combinations
- Bar Graphs
- Circle Graphs
- Mean,Median, Mode
- Geologic time
- Energy Resources
Unit 3 - Ancient Greece and Rome
- The Rise of Ancient Greece
- The Glory of Ancient Greece
- The Rise of Ancient Rome
- The Glory of Ancient Rome
Unit 4 - Regional Civilizations
- Byzantine and Muslim
- Civilization of Africa
- Early Civilization of the Americas
- Civilization of Asia
Unit 3 - Redefining the Covenant People
- A Divided People: Israel, the Northern Kingdom
- A Divided People: Judah the Southern Kingdom
- The Exile and the Journey Home
- A Strong People
4th Nine Weeks
- Parallel Lines
- Right,Obtuse,Acute,Straight angles
- Complementary and Supplementary angles
- Adjacent and Vertical angles
- Interior, Exterior, Corresponding angles
- Percents and Percentages
Unit 5 - Age of Encounter
- Europe in the Middle Ages
- The Renaissance and Reformation
- Exploration: Europe and Asia
- Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
Unit 6 - Revolution and Empires
- The Rise of Monarchies
- A Changing World
Unit 7 - Our World Today
- World Wars and Revolutions
- The World Today
The Covenant Fulfilled in Jesus
- Jesus, Teacher and Healer
- Jesus, Redeemer and Savior
- The Church Begins
- The Bible and the Church Today
- The Church in the World
- God Fulfills His Promise
- Sharing Faith in Class and at Home